Conservative update and background to the questions asked at the Full Council meeting held om 22nd July ‘21
- Cllr Nelson to ask Cllr Davies - ‘With the announcement that the Council has submitted over a million pages of evidence to the Telford Child Sexual Exploitation Inquiry, does the leader and his fellow councillors still claim that the CSE Inquiry was not needed?’
Bob Crowther, Chair of the CSE inquiry said in his recent report that the council has submitted 1.2 million pages of evidence to the inquiry which will take years to read through and is being scanned digitally. This raises two issues, 1) vital evidence may be missed and 2) in the past senior Councillors signed a letter to say there was no need for an inquiry and then all this evidence is supplied which just shows the enormity of the problem.
- Cllr Dugmore to ask Cllr Wright – ‘What changes have been made following the review of the relationship between APT and the planning authority announced in January?’
The Labour administration set up APT which is a planning consultancy which can be hired to give planning advice. Cllr Dugmore called for a review in January to make sure there was no perceived conflict of interest. This review has not reported back yet.
- Cllr Bentley to ask Cllr Healy – ‘Since the publication of the Boroughs’ climate change strategy the Shropshire Star reported that there has been a 33 percent reduction in carbon emissions across the Borough in the last 12 months. What is the largest contributing factor to this reduction?’
The T & W Council trumpet the reduction in carbon output but this is due to lock down rather than any activity by the council.
- Cllr Bentley to ask Cllr Wright – ‘What tonnage of freight has the Donnington Rail Freight terminal handled during the 12 months leading up to lockdown?.
A written answer is to be supplied. If this was better utilised it would make a considerable difference to the Council’s Climate reductions.
- Cllr Bentley to ask Cllr Davies – ‘Following the £1.3m investment in 110 homes within the Borough to create a social rented arm of NuPlace, can the leader guarantee these properties will provide accommodation to residents of the Borough whose limited opportunities for social housing have existed for many years?’
A written response is to be provided.